Lynda.com – A leading online learning company that helps anyone learn software, technology, creative and business skills to achieve personal and professional goals through a video library of engaging, top-quality courses taught by recognized industry experts. Note: If you need to reset your password, please call Lynda at 1-888-335-9632. Select option 1 and specify that you are calling regarding Lynda Library.
Tutor.com – A fully online tutoring service. You can get a tutor in more than 40 subjects including Math, Science, Social Studies, English, AP support, Foreign Languages and Business. Tutoring sessions take place in our easy-to-use online classroom which runs in your browser.
University of Fashion – Brings together the best fashion industry professionals to create lessons that inspire and educate students, teachers, home sewers and the fashion curious.
ABCmouse.com in the Library – Helps children build a strong foundation for future academic success by providing a comprehensive and engaging online curriculum to greatly assist early learners to succeed in pre-K, kindergarten, and early elementary school programs.
ABCmouse.com at Home – WLS is pleased to bring you a pilot of a new product from ABCmouse.com allowing patrons to access the service at home. ABCmouse.com helps children build a strong foundation for future academic success by providing a comprehensive and engaging online curriculum to greatly assist early learners to succeed in pre-K, kindergarten, and early elementary school programs.
Driving-Tests.org – In partnership with Driving-Tests.org, the Westchester Library System is proud to offer free New York State Driver Permit practice tests and driver handbooks. Automobile, motorcycle and commercial handbooks and practice tests are available.
LearningExpress Library 3.0 – LearningExpress Library features nearly 1,000 online tutorials, practice tests, and eBooks to help patrons of all ages. It offers job search and workplace skills improvement, skill building in reading, writing, math and basic science, career certification and licensure exam prep, college and grad school entrance test prep, and more.
First Find – Has basic information on easy to read websites.
- Learn English – Practice and learn English using several websites that include: Grammar, Vocabulary, Listening, Reading, Pronunciation and Writing. Test your progress with games and quizzes.
- Get Your GED – Connect to websites that can help build your knowledge and skills you will need to pass the GED. You will also find general information about the GED and how to take the GED test in New York State.
- Basic Computer Tips – How computers work and tutorials on how to use software.
Requires a library card
Magazines, Newspapers & Journals
- American Physical Society Journals – The American Physical Society is the world’s second largest organization of physicists and publishes more than a dozen scientific journals including the prestigious Physical Review and Physical Review Letters.
- Directory of Open Access Journals – A service that covers free, full-text, quality controlled scientific and scholarly journals.
- General OneFile – A one-stop source for news and periodical articles on a wide range of topics. Millions of full-text articles, many with images. Updated daily.
- Google News Archive – Search and explore information from historical archives dating back over 200 years. For a quick how-to on using Google News Archive see this post on the Free Technology for Teachers blog.
- Infotrac Newsstand (Gale) – Full-text newspaper database has several NY newspapers, including the NY Times from 1985-Present, as well as over fifty national and international newspapers. Click here for a title list. (Full-text)
- NYS Newspapers – Collection of ten major newspapers published in New York State, searchable by section, keyword or relevance. (Full-text)
Encyclopedias and Genealogy
- Educator’s Reference Complete – A collection of more than 1,100 peridiocals and 200 reports is a great resource for any educator–from the school teacher and administrator to those studying in the field at the collegiate an graduate level. Educator’s Reference Complete seeks to provide full text for titles in the Eric database and covers multiple levels of education from preschool to college, and every educational specialty–such as technology, bilingual education, health education, and testing. It also provides insight on issues in administration, funding, and policy.
- Informe Académico – Meets the research needs of Spanish-speaking users with a wide range of full-text Spanish- and Portuguese-language scholarly journals and magazines both from and about Latin America. Informe Académico provides quality reference material–not simply translations of English-language materials–on a powerful, easy-to-use interface configured for Spanish-speaking users, allowing researchers to analyze topics and conduct research in Spanish.
- Secrets of the Sequences: Video series on the Life Sciences – With initial funding from the Pfizer Foundation and the National Academy of Sciences, VCU has assembled 50 of the best videos from the public television series, “Secrets of the Sequence” to assist teachers in the application of genetic research across the biology curriculum. Funding from the Howard Hughes Medical Institute has allowed for the creation of additional videos, which are also included on this site.