Membership cards are issued to residents of Bedford Village upon the applicant providing proof of residence. Secondary criteria for eligibility are employment, property ownership, or school attendance in Bedford Village. A patron may have only one library card in the Westchester Library System. A Library card gives you access to all 38 Westchester Libraries. Cards will be issued to children when they enter Kindergarten. Lost cards or address changes should be reported to the desk librarian. Please complete the registration form and present with proper identification at the Library. Your first check out is limited to three items. Not sure which WLS library you should get a card at? Click here for map.
Your library card is the passport to so many services:
- Check items out at any of the 38 Westchester Libraries
- Place a hold on an item. You can place a hold on an item online, in person and over the phone. If an item is not available at your library it can be ordered and sent to your library for pick up. This is one of the most popular services we offer at the library. When your item arrives you will be notified via email, phone or text that your materials are in. We hold items for 8 days. Bedford Free Library does not charge for holds.
- Check your account online. With your library card number and PIN (last 4 digits of your phone number) you can renew items, place holds, check due dates and manage your library account.
- Download eBooks, audiobooks and music for free by using the library systems digital resources,
- Research using online data bases which give you access to periodicals, newspapers and other resources.
- Learn a language, study for a driver’s test or your SATs using online programs.
- Our WLS App is available for Android and IOS! Find the IOS app at https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/westchester-library-system/id1172280100?mt=8.
CIRCULATION, RENEWAL PERIODS AND FINES:
* No renewals
No renewals on ANY items with holds on them.
Materials borrowed at any of the Westchester Library System member libraries may be returned at any WLS member library. All material may be returned in the drop boxes outside the library at any time. Please use the appropriate box for AV or books.
The Library has a wide selection of reference materials. These items are to be used on Library premises and are not available for loan. When doing research don’t forget to look at the digital resources that are available also.
When materials are not available on site, the staff will initiate, whenever possible, interlibrary loans from college libraries or other New York State libraries. Items borrowed from outside WLS are for 4 weeks, with no renewals. Depending on the item that you are ordering there may be a fee for this service. It is a privilege to have this service available and we ask that you are mindful and follow the rules so we do not lose lending privileges from these institutions.
LOST AND DAMAGED MATERIALS
The charge for unpaid lost items will appear on a patron’s record. Patrons, who have lost any library material, will be asked to work with the individual library and their policy for lost items. The Bedford Free Library accepts either a replacement copy or the price of the item. Fines for the item will be waived at this time. In the event that the item is found after payment, money will not be refunded. Damaged materials are to be reported by the patron and dealt with at the discretion of the librarian.
A Library card is blocked when accumulated charges (fines, lost items etc.) reach $25. When a block is placed on a card it prevents further use of any of the Westchester Libraries including access to all databases. You are advised to check the status of your accumulated charges regularly at your library or online to prevent your card being blocked.
The Library has the following services for public use:
Copiers both color and regular
Fax machine (within the USA only)
Wireless Internet service
Many of these services are available for a nominal fee. The computers and wireless internet are free of charge.
Study areas are provided, in which quiet and consideration for other patrons is required.